Apply Now for 2018 enke: Trailblazer Program!
enke: Make Your Mark is now accepting applications for Grade 10 and 11 learners to participate in the enke: Trailblazer Program Winter Intakes, which kick off this July 2018. The enke: Trailblazer Program is a national program that encourages participation from youth from every province in South Africa and beyond. We have had youth from as far as Windhoek, Namibia and Nairobi, Kenya, participate in the Program!
The enke: Trailblazer Program inspires and supports Grade 10 and 11 high school youth to create real change in their communities. Participants design and run projects to address the social issues they feel passionate about. Through this experience, participants increase their grit, social responsibility, self-efficacy and social capital, while gaining practical experience in project management and leadership.
Through the Trailblazer Program, we introduce high school students to other like-minded, passionate and enthusiastic young people. Participants learn skills that will help them achieve their dreams and use these skills to design and run a project in their community. Participants walk away from the experience having made an impact on their communities and inspired to continue to make change happen.
enke: Trailblazers go on to do awesome works in their community – read our Trailblazer Stories of Change!
How to Apply
The application process for the Trailblazer Program is as follows:
- Complete the application forms (download application form)
- Applications will require the following information:
- Applicant personal information,
- 3 short answer questions to motivate for participation,
- Applicant’s health and dietary information,
- Educator reference,
- Parent/guardian contact information and signature on waivers and consent for participation.
- Successful applicants will be notified in June (for Winter Intakes) and October (for Summer Intakes)
Please read the information guide before applying- Trailblazer Program Information Guide
Download the application forms for Grade 10 and 11 Learners to participate here: 2018 Trailblazer Program Application Form
How the enke: Trailblazer Program works?
The Trailblazer Program has 3 key components:
- Training at the enke: Forum: Participants attend the enke: Forum – a week-long, residential retreat. Participants develop leadership, communication, and critical thinking skills; hear from inspirational speakers and experts in fields such as entrepreneurship, technology, media and the environment.
- Social Action: Running a Community Action Project allows participants to learn by doing (experiential learning). Through this process, participants develop key skills in project design and management. Over the 9 month period, enke provides technical and emotional support for participants through our trouble-shooting hotline and monthly SMS reports.
- Recognition: We recognize the effort that all participants put into the program – even where a community action project isn’t completed. All participants who start a project are invited to regional celebration events. In addition, top projects are awarded prizes and all participants receive a certificate and letter of recognition.
Our training and celebration events will be held in central hubs in the Free State, Limpopo and Northern Cape during school holidays. Youth from around the country are represented in these hubs. The main activity of the Program takes place in the local communities of the youth participating in the program.
The Focus Areas for the 2018 Winter Intakes (kickoff in July) are Northern Cape and Free State. Priority for this intake will be given to youth from the following provinces: Northern Cape, Free State, Eastern Cape, North West, Western Cape and KZN.
The Focus Areas for the 2018 Summer Intakes (kickoff in December) is Limpopo. Priority will be given to youth from the following provinces: Limpopo, Gauteng, Mpumalanga, and North West.
Each cohort of the Program is called an “Intake”. We host 2-3 intakes of the Trailblazer Program each year, with each intake accepting a maximum of 125 youth per intake depending on funding. Program intakes run as follows for the 9 month Program:
- Winter Intake: July 2018 – April 2019 (Celebration event held in May 2019)
- Summer Intake: December 2018 – August 2019 (Celebration event held in September 2019)
The Selection Criteria
We are looking for young people who are interested in engaging in a program that will challenge them as well as gain leadership experience. The program is open to youth from all races and backgrounds. This is a competitive application process and we receive more applications than spaces available.
We consider the following criteria for selection:
- Strong ability to interact and communicate with peers.
- Knowledge of community, political and social issues.
- Desire to build realise leadership potential through active participation in their school, church, or other community group.
- A desire to learn the skills to make change happen.
- English fluency and understanding as the program is delivered in English
The value of the enke: Trailblazer Program is R10,000 per participant. Thanks to the generous support of our funding partners, we are able to offer this opportunity for a participation fee of R3,000 per person or for free for participants who qualify for participation fee waivers.
- Accommodation and meals for the enke: Forum and Celebration Event
- Intensive training to improve skills in leadership, communication, resilience and self-awareness
- Hands-on practical experience with designing and implementing a project
- Take home materials and information resources
- Dedicated support over the nine-month program
- Recognition letters and certificates for completing the Program
We offer bursaries (participation fee waivers) to cover program fees for youth with financial difficulties, those from under-resourced schools (annual fees less than R5000), as well as youth identified by our implementation partners.
If you have any questions or queries please contact us