What is the enke: Trailblazer Program?
The enke: Trailblazer Program inspires and supports young people to create real change in their communities. Participants design and run projects to address the social issues they feel passionate about. Through this experience, participants increase their grit, social responsibility, self-efficacy and social capital, while gaining practical experience in project management and leadership.
Through the Trailblazer Program, we introduce high school students to other like-minded, passionate and enthusiastic young people. Participants learn skills that will help them achieve their dreams and use these skills to design and run a project in their community. Participants walk away from the experience having made an impact on their communities and inspired to continue to make change happen.
The enke: Trailblazer Program is a national program that encourages participation from youth from every province in South Africa and beyond. We have had youth from as far as Windhoek, Namibia and Nairobi, Kenya, participate in the Program!
Our training and celebration events are held in central hubs in the Free State and Limpopo during school holidays. Youth from around the country are represented in these hubs. The main activity of the Program takes place in the local communities of the youth participating in the program.
We accept a maximum of 150 youth per intake depending on funding.
The Selection Process
The application process for the Trailblazer Program is as follows:
- Complete the application forms
- Applications will require the following information:
- Applicant personal information,
- 3 short answer questions to motivate for participation,
- Applicant’s health and dietary information,
- Educator reference,
- Parent/guardian contact information and signature on waivers and consent for participation.
- Successful applicants will be told in June (Winter Intakes).
The Selection Criteria
We are looking for young people who are interested in engaging in a program that will challenge them as well as gain leadership experience. The program is open to youth from all races and backgrounds. This is a competitive application process and we receive more applications than spaces available. We consider the following criteria for selection:
- Strong ability to interact and communicate with peers.
- Knowledge of community, political and social issues.
- Demonstrated leadership potential with previous leadership experience in their school, church, or community group. Program Delivery is in English.
- A desire to learn the skills to make change happen.
- English fluency and understanding as the program is delivered in English
The value of the enke: Trailblazer Program is R9,750 per participant. Thanks to the generous support of our funding partners, we are able to offer this opportunity for a participation fee of R3,500 per person or for free for participants who qualify for participation fee waivers.
- Accommodation and meals for the enke: Forum and Celebration Event
- Intensive training to improve skills in leadership, communication, resilience and self-awareness
- Hands-on practical experience with designing and implementing a project
- Take home materials and information resources
- Dedicated support over the nine-month program
- Recognition letters and certificates for completing the Program
We offer bursaries to cover program fees for exceptional applicants. Priority for bursaries is given to youth with financial difficulties, those from under-resourced schools (annual fees less than R5000), as well as youth identified by our implementation partners.
How to Apply
Please read the information guide before applying- Trailblazer Program Information Guide
Download the application forms for Grade 10 and 11 Learners to participate here:
| Bloemfontein Application Form |