The enke: Trailblazer Program
The enke: Trailblazer Program inspires and supports young people to create real change in their communities. Participants design and run projects to address the social issues they feel passionate about. Through this experience, participants increase their grit, social responsibility, self-efficacy and social capital, while gaining practical experience in project management and leadership.
Through the Trailblazer Program, we introduce high school students to other like-minded, passionate and enthusiastic young people. Participants learn skills that will help them achieve their dreams and use these skills to design and run a project in their community. Participants walk away from the experience having made an impact on their communities and inspired to continue to make change happen.
Participation in the Program has impact on the individual and their community. The Program has long-term positive effect on the future of Trailblazers. In 2014 we conducted research on our alumni (past participants), which showed:
- Those who complete a community social action project are more likely to show higher levels of ‘soft’ skills, practical project skills and social support.
- Rates of further education and employment were higher in enke alumni when compared to national averages.
- Those who began a social action project (regardless of finishing it) are approximately three times more likely to be engaged in volunteering or self-directed social entrepreneurial efforts.
It doesn’t end there. Participants in our Programs go on to join our Alumni Network, accessing opportunities and support on an ongoing basis from enke: Make Your Mark.
How the Program Works:
The Trailblazer Program has 3 key components:
- Training at the enke: Forum: Participants attend the enke: Forum – a week-long, residential retreat. Participants develop leadership, communication, and critical thinking skills; hear from inspirational speakers and experts in fields such as entrepreneurship, technology, media and the environment.
- Social Action: Running a Community Action Project allows participants to learn by doing (experiential learning). Through this process, participants develop key skills in project design and management. Over the 9 month period, enke provides technical and emotional support for participants through our trouble-shooting hotline and monthly SMS reports.
- Recognition: We recognize the effort that all participants put into the program – even where a community action project isn’t completed. All participants who start a project are invited to regional celebration events. In addition, top projects are awarded prizes and all participants receive a certificate and letter of recognition.
Download the Trailblazer Program Information Booklet to for more details- Here
How to Apply
Applications for the Program are currently open. Applications close on Friday, 17th April 2017.
Application forms Bloemfontein can be downloaded here.
Applications forms for Limpopo can be downloaded here.
You must meet the selection criteria (found below).
Selection criteria can be found here
School & Community Partnerships in the Trailblazer Program
We believe that it takes a village to raise a child. We actively partner with schools and community organisations to work with us in selecting and supporting youth to participate in the Trailblazer Program. We are always looking for more partners to enhance the diversity and reach of our programs.
Benefits of partnering with us:
- Opportunity for personal leadership development and practical experience for beneficiaries of your organization/school, which extends the scope of your offering to the youth you work with.
- Low cost access to an established leadership and social action program. The associated financial cost is that of contributing to participation fees and/or transportation of your selected participants to the enke: Forum and Celebration Events.
- Regular customized reporting on the activities of your beneficiaries in the enke: Trailblazer Program that can be used for fundraising.
- Joint marketing and media with enke: Make Your Mark on the work of your beneficiaries that are selected to the enke: Trailblazer Program. Includes listing as an Implementation Partner in online and printed materials and media associated to the Trailblazer Program
Our implementation partners include the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation Scholarships Programme, GOLD Peer Education, the Kids Foundation, University of Cape Town 100 UP Programme, Masifunde Learner Development, Keiskamma Music Academy, Ikamva Youth, University of the Free State Schools Project, Sekwele Centre for Social Reflection, 180 Ministries, Education Without Borders and many more.
Our school partners have included St. Cyprians High School, Westville Boys High School, Wynberg Girls High School, Krugersdorp High School, Crawford College and the African Leadership Academy.