Role Description: Business Development Officer (2021)
We’re hiring for a Business Development Officer (BDO). The BDO role will contribute to the organisation’s income generation activities by building relationships with donors and clients and facilitate training within the specialised services (bespoke) work of organisation. It is a developmental role that will give extensive experience in sales, project management, training delivery, exposure to enke’s networks and may lead to long-term opportunities in the organization. This is an ideal position for an aspiring social entrepreneur that is passionate about the power of young people to transform lives and communities, who wants to gain experience in business and client development.
Opportunity closing date: 5:30pm, Sunday 14 February 2021
Start date: 1st April 2021
Reports to: Head of Development
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg with frequent travel and weekend work
Remuneration: R16,000 – R18,000 per month gross salary based on qualifications and experience.
Duration: Full time position. 12-month contract with possibility of extension based on performance.
- INCOME GENERATION (50%)
- Work as an integral member of the income generation team to drive sales- and fundraising- related activities through:
- Attainment of resource generation targets
- Prospecting (e.g. new business lead generation, follow up of referrals, building of fundraising pipeline)
- Submission of proposals
- Stewardship (e.g. retention of existing business, courtesy calls, seek and implement client feedback)
- Engagement (e.g. stakeholder engagement through phone calls, emails, proposals, meetings, and events)
- Contribute to creating and executing fundraising strategy
- Contribute to additions and maintenance of the database of potential fundraising sources and existing donors
- Conduct the due diligence process to ensure that pipeline consists on prospects that have met the targeted outcome in the due diligence process. This includes research on targeted funding areas e.g. CSI funding, foundation and grant funding and individual donors to identify relevant fundraising and sponsorship opportunities.
- Presentation of enke programs at various fora
- Reporting on income generation activities as required
- Performing all fundraising tasks in accordance with deadlines
- Work with program and finance teams as required to attain income generation targets
- Training Delivery & Project Coordination (20%)
- Deliver trainings contracted by the organisation as a facilitator
- Liaise with and coordinate enke’s specialized facilitators for all specialized services (bespoke) project execution
- Liaise and coordinate enke’s program participants as may be required from time to time
- Recruit, coordinate logistics and support facilitators to effectively execute on projects
- Contribute to developing new curriculum for bespoke projects when required, assisting to build enke’s catalogue and service offering
- Start-to-finish logistical and administrative coordination of all projects and related activities
- Financial administration of specialized services project events/activities (budgeting, financial reconciliation and reporting)
- MARKETING ACTIVITIES (20%)
- Contribute to organisational marketing and advertising to achieve targeted objectives.
- Implement marketing activities as per organisational processes.
- Contribute to preparing marketing reports.
- Keep promotional materials ready by coordinating requirements with all departments for updated material.
- Report on marketing activities undertaken
- Implement organisation post implementation processes
- Research similar programs and maintain research databases.
- Plan meetings and trade shows by identifying, assembling, and coordinating requirements; establishing contacts; developing schedules and assignments; coordinating mailing lists.
- Monitors allocated budgets by ensuring actual spend does not exceed budgeted for allocations.
Organisational responsibilities (10%)
- Assist with general administrative tasks as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
A tertiary qualification preferably in Sales, Marketing, Business Administration, Public Relations or Communication degree / diploma
- Valid Driver’s License for minimum 12 months
- Experience in fundraising, sales, marketing, training development or similar
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to manage multiple responsibilities within tight deadlines
- Excellent written communication skills, presentation skills and interpersonal skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel and Word
- Strong project management skills
- Ability and flexibility to work evenings and weekends with frequent travel across South Africa (majority of trainings and meetings occur on evenings and weekends.)
- Ability to accomplish projects with minimal supervision and take direction
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Excited by new ideas and processes with a positive and professional attitude and ability to work in a team
- Friendly, outgoing self-starter with the ability to engage a variety of clients on the phone & in person
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner at all levels; internal and external to the organization
- Work attitude is goal driven and you get the work done on time
- Passion for social change and shared organizational values
- Experience working in the non-profit sector or fundraising
- Experience working in skills development and facilitation
To apply, please follow the below instructions:
- Complete the online application – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FJQZKT8
- Submit your CV (maximum 2 pages) via email to email@example.com by 5:30pm, Sunday 14th February 2021
- The subject line of your email must include the position you are applying for and your name; for example – “BDO’’ Application – JOHN SMITH”
- Only complete applications complying with all instructions (both online application and emailed CV with correct subject line) will be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates may be contacted for follow-up interviews. Candidates who have received no response within three (3) months of the closing date should kindly assume that their application has not been successful.