We believe in measuring impact, not just activity.Measuring impact is essential to ensuring that development initiatives go beyond tokenism and provide real, tangible benefit to participants.
STORIES OF IMPACT
In 2013, we ran a research project on our alumni (past programme participants) funded by the First Rand Foundation. We looked at three key outcomes: social and emotional competencies, post school activities, and support structures.
- Grit and growth mindset increase across project status – i.e. those who finished a social impact project had higher scores than those who didn’t start.
- Self-efficacy (higher internal locus of control) was lowest for people who finished but people said they felt more confident and had better self-esteem by just starting a project, regardless of completion.
- Social awareness may be less important for successfully completing projects.
- Post School Activities
- Most young people who had graduated high school were at university (76%)
- Alumni had high levels of entrepreneurship and volunteering compared to SA stats.
- All measures of employment, education and training were above the national average.
- It seems that if alumni started a project during their time with enke (regardless of finishing it) they were more likely to start social impact projects now.
- Support Structures
- Young people with more support structures in place completed their social impact projects.
- Emotional support is more important than practical support.
- 2011 and 2012 alumni had marginally higher total social and emotional skills scores – support structures may play a role in building these skills rather than action alone. This is evidence for continued support from enke and community structures
enke is a leadership development organisation that generates and incubates youth-led social change. We connect, equip and inspire youth to realise their potential, thrive and mobilise for meaningful change.
- – Non-Profit Company Reg.: 2010/0231851/08
- – Dept. of Social Development Reg.: NPO 132-509
- – SARS Public Benefit Org. Reg.: 9300/37429
Partner with us in creating opportunities for youth to find and succeed in their chosen life pathways.
Address: 7th Floor South Point Corner, 87 De Korte Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa
Phone: +27-11-403-1241 / +27-11-403-1243